Sunday, February 14, 2016

Title


So hey, Deadpool is a good superhero movie and a great Deadpool movie.

Again, B-list heroes, where the director (and producer in this case) have a solid grasp of those characters and then makes a fun movie with them -- just the best superhero movies.

You can argue that Deadpool isn't a B-list hero, but while he's popular with readers, in the Marvel Universe per se, he's just the court jester and doesn't generally get billing the way Spider Man or the Avengers do.

But -- overall it was a hugely fun movie and I'd probably go see it again.

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Deadpool other than the hype around this movie (I totes promise I won't bring my nonexistent children!)... Should I see it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marta S. Rivera Monclova So...I'd watch one of the trailers (maybe the red band trailer though it's a bit of a spoiler). If you liked it at all, you'd probably be good with the movie.

    Downsides: If it passes the Bechdel Test, it only does so on a technicality. There's only one POC as a minor secondary character. There is a bit in the first third where two main characters compare childhood traumas in a one upsmanship sort of way. The implication is that while both of them are wildly exaggerating, it comes from a real place of pain, and both use humor to deflect. I could roll with it, others might not.

    Upsides: All the women appear to have a fairly decent amount of agency. Gina Carano continues to deliver great fight scenes. The humor is crude, but it tends to punch up. Not nearly as gory as a Terentino film -- which kinda surprised me. I felt like the movie was actually pretty smart about the ways in which is was crass.

    Like I say, I'd go see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marta, I'd be surprised if you enjoyed it. As BG said, watch the red and trailer first.

    ReplyDelete